Saturday, October 14, 2023

Fall 2023 layout update

I was late with a summer update and here we are just over two months later with the fall layout update.  On the layout itself there has not been that much progress as I have been working on several other hobby related projects that have taken up much of my hobby time.

Here are a couple of things that have gotten done on the layout recently.  Fascia was added to the top of the upper helix.  This completes all of the fascia on the layout.
















The tunnel portals for the Carlin tunnels have been completed.  The actual ones don't look just like this. I had to make some compromises in the space I have available.  With these two things finished the hillside can be started.  This hillside is where the scenery will end on the east end of the layout.















Last June I brought the Ntrak club's 20 ft staging yard home with me from the N Scale convention in Reno.  This set of modules is over 30 years old and the last time it received an overhaul was in 2009. Some of the issues I have been working on are a couple of broken turnouts, poor elecrical contacts, and missing track feeders.   Each of the four modules is 5 ft long.  Most of the work is being done on the two end modules and those are shown here set up in my train room.
















Here is a close up of one of the ends.  Several of the rails were broken from the ties where this yard interfaces with other Ntrak modules and were being held in place with track nails and super glue.  I made up the same type of PC board ties that I have used in several places on the home layout to better secure them.



The goal is to have this staging yard ready for our next layout setup in early December.  

No comments:

Post a Comment