Sunday, October 8, 2023

What to do with all those pizza cutter wheels

Having a layout with code 55 track, I have been replacing the deeper flange wheels on freight cars with low profile ones with priority being given to cars that have car cards and are used in layout operations.  So it's no surprise that I have a pile of the "Pizza Cutter" type wheels in my parts box.  Recently I had been making up removable loads for some of my gondolas and thought that old railroad wheels could make a nice load.

I started by cutting wheels off their axles with my spue cutter.
















For a base I used a scrap of thin sheet metal cut to fit inside a Micro-Trains 50 ft gondola.










Next I began gluing the cut off wheels with liquid plastic cement.  First layer was laid out flat then additional wheels were added to the first layer.  They were all placed with the outside part of the wheel pointed up.

Similar to how I did with the scrap loads and covered the load with acrylic oxide red paint being careful get it into all the cervices. 

This is the almost finished load in a gondola.  I say almost because I still want to dry brush and weather this old to make it more realistic.  













2 comments:

  1. Looks good, but you might want to weather in inside of the gondola. Those wheels would bang around the car pretty quickly during loading and shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inside for sure and a bit on the outside too.

      Delete