Friday, November 4, 2022

3D Printed Wheel Stops

Almost a year ago I learned about some 3D printed wheel stops from The Little Rock Line blog.  So I ordered them from an Etsy seller.  This was my first purchase on Etsy and have noticed that it seems to be a good source for N Scale 3D printed items and more reasonably priced than items on Shapeways.  I have since ordered a few more items on Etsy from this same seller and others.  Selection is not a large as Shapeways but hopefully will expand over time.

So just recently I got around to painting and installing these.  They come 12 in a pack consisting of 3 groups of 4.


Each wheel stop is mounted on 6 of the little posts that are common on 3D printed items.  I painted these with a brush before removing the wheel stop from the posts.  There is a little channel at the bottom where the wheel stops meet the posts so care was taken not to damage the channel.


After cutting the posts off with a spue cutter, I filed smooth any nubs left on the edges of the channel.  Installing these just took a small drop of super glue on the rail and then the channel fit right over the rail.


These wheel stops have been installed at the ends of 6 out of the 9 spur tracks on my layout.  The other 3 have some end of track bumpers that I scratch built from brass

2 comments: