Sunday, October 30, 2022

What's in Lovelock ?

From my study of the line I am modeling I know the local that went west from Carlin Yard was called the Lovelock local.  Lovelock is another small community along Interstate 80 between Winnemucca and Sparks.  Recently I got to thinking for the Local to be named that it must go all the way to Lovelock and there must be some sort of industries there.  So checking on Googlemaps I found out that just east of Lovelock there is one major rail served industry called EP Minerals.

EP Minerals appears to be processing center and truck to rail transfer site.  In the satellite view I can see as many as 14 covered hopper rail cars and at least one open hopper tractor trailer.  Some further internet research discovered the product processed there is something called Diatomaceous Earth.  This is used in many products and processes including filtration, paints, rubber, and dynamite.

The western end of this layout is at Winnemucca so Lovelock is well outside the modeled area.  However when I run my version of the Lovelock local I run it back to the staging yard.  So, I got to thinking why not simulate the industry there in the staging yard.  That would add to the interchange traffic between the local and the manifest freights in Carlin.

I have a number of Southern Pacific covered hoppers that could be appropriate for this industry.  Most of these are Delaware Valley cylindrical covered hoppers that I have had for almost 30 years. So I made car cards for all of these and made a car holder for the siding in the staging yard that will represent this industry.




For the waybills I decided to focus on the paint industry for now and found a few paint factories around the US.  Again on Googlemaps I was able to verify the presence of covered hopper rail cars at 3 different paint factories and made waybills with these industries being the customer.




No comments:

Post a Comment