Thursday, July 28, 2022

Trying a different road building method

Over the years and various layouts and modules, I have tried several different methods for modeling asphalt roads.  Just before I was about to start the roads in Carlin, I saw this YouTube video.   The modeler presenting this video uses thin, black craft foam sheets as the basis for this roads on his HO scale layout with great results.  I wanted to try this myself and adapt it to N scale.  So I purchased these on Amazon and they were quite inexpensive when you consider how much N scale roads and parking lots can be made from this one package.




















 

 

 

The thickness of these is about .070 inches thick and was quite easy to cut with a sharp x-acto blade.  When I have used the styrene sheet or drywall mud methods of road making I have used .040 as a thickness and made any needed styrene strip edges to match that thickness.  So one of the things done differently was to use .080 as the thickness for any edges where a sidewalk or building would be placed.
















Another adjustment I needed to make for using this in N scale was at a grade crossing.  This material is too thick for the height of the rail so a transition was made to .030 styrene on the approach to the grade crossing. 



For painting I used the recommended colors of artist acrylics and techniques from the video.  This was the first time I have used sponge brushes in this application and do like using them for painting larger surfaces on the layout. The first pass seemed to absorb into the foam and I was not sure of the results but got better results with the followup coat.




With some weathering and detailing I think these are going to be the best roads I've made and plan to use this technique in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment