Thursday, December 21, 2023

Winter 2023 layout update

Today is the winter solstice, so a good date for the winter update on the layout.   In the fall update I had made up the tunnel portals for the Carlin tunnels on the east end of the layout and had installed the sky board and fascia around the upper helix.  Since then, I have built up the hillside in front of the sky board.  This was done with chunks of insulation board covered with plaster cloth.













The street that is in Carlin continues in this scene and disappears into the hills.  Currently I am working on painting the sky board and the road and installing some rock castings.



Again, this winter I am taking part in the trainboard.com winter layout party.  I always seem to get more done on the layout during these events and this year with all the track work finished I will be focusing on scenery.  Besides this hillside I will be working on some structures and industries in the Carlin area.

The large Ntrak club staging yard that I was working on in the fall got used in a layout at a show on the first weekend of December and performed perfectly.  After the show I brought home the end sections of our smaller yard as we were having the same type of problems with it as we were with the big yard.  That is, not routing power correctly.  I will be rebuilding all the Peco contact switches the way I did with the big yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment