This is another post in what seems unintentionally to be a series of "home made" posts. As I work with the layout these things just come to me. In this one I will show how I made an uncoupling tool from scraps of styrene.
Over the years I have purchased a few packages of the RIX uncoupling tool. They come two to the package and do the job. The tips are a bit fragile and I have broken several off. I was down to my last one and about to buy another package when it occurred to me that I might be able to make something similar and perhaps sturdier.
Shown below is one of the ones I built next to my last RIX tool.
Here is a list of the materials used:
- Evergreen 214 (.125" OD rod)
- Evergreen 226 (.131" ID / .197 OD tube)
One end of the rod was shaped into a flat point with sandpaper. A short section of tube was glued to the rod to act as a stopper when the tool was placed in a holder and a larger section was glued to the other end of the rod to be a handle. I also make holders for the uncoupling tools from the same size tube. These are simply glued into position with E6000 adhesive.