Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Barite crushing facility in Battle Mountain

Barite is one of those minerals that is mined in Nevada.  It is used to make a mud like product that has several applications with one of the largest being in the oil industry.  There is a fairly new Barite crushing and rail car loading facility operated by Halliburton not far from Battle Mountain and there is also another similar facility right in town so it is a natural for the 4th industry on this section of the layout.  The dry Barite powder is shipped by covered hopper as it needs to be kept dry until ready to be made into mud.

As a starting point for my facility I chose the Walthers Glacier Gravel Company kit.  I have built many of the Walthers kits in the past and have always found them to be easy to modify to fit whatever space I had available.

The area for this industry is long and narrow at about 4.5 inches deep by 12+ inches wide so a bit of modification would be needed here.   I want to represent a place for trucks with ore to be unloaded, the processing building, and the rail car loading facility.

After quite a bit of playing around with the arrangement and modifying the kit this is how the area looks today.  I recently picked up some more material to add conveyors to the loading structure.


So that is at least a start on all 4 of the industries for Battle Mountain.  Now that this section is in it's place on the layout I will be going through and finishing each industry scene.  As I do, I will post more about each industry in detail.

2 comments:

  1. That will make a nice industry Brad. The modifications looks good thus far.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod. Maybe a less interesting structure than the picture on the box but when I finish the additional conveyors to the loading structure the whole facility should look more complete.

      Delete