Saturday, September 21, 2024

Converting old smart phones into Wi-Fi DCC throttles

Recently my wife and I both got new smart phones.  Our old phones were too old to have any trade in value so I decided to try using them as additional Wi-Fi DCC throttles as I have really liked using Wi-Throttle-Lite app to run the layout.  

After transferring data to the new phones I installed the Wi-Throttle Lite app on the old phones made a custom wallpaper for each of them.  The Wi-Throttle Lite app is the only one available on the first page with any others being on the next page in case they are needed.  The camera and other features still work on these phones after the phone services are deactivated. 

Next I wanted a holder for the phones at the layout.  I followed the design I had used for the Digitrax throttles using scraps of tempered hard board.  A link to that project is HERE.  These phone holders also got a hole in the bottom for the charger cord and a pair of standoffs cut from 1/2 inch plywood scrap so the phone is held up enough not to damage the charger cord.























After priming and painting the assembly was mounted to the staging yard fascia just as the Digitrax throttle holders are.



No comments:

Post a Comment