Tuesday, September 10, 2024

A gas station for Carlin - Part 1

There was this one lot left on Main Street that I have planned to have either a gas station or grocery store.  I had considered doing a gas station with the garage being converted into a convivence store but then realized that is a more recent trend and might not fit in with my mid 70's to mid 90's era. 

I had this gas station kit left over from an estate.  It looks like a well designed laser cut wood kit that I have been looking forward to building.  But it seemed to me to be a different style of building than most gas stations I have seen so was not sure how it would fit in.















As I have done with the other buildings on this layout, this scene will be built on a removable base made from fiberglass reinforced plastic sheet.  It was verified that this building would fit on this base and leave enough room for the surrounding scene.


















So, a gas station it would be.  But what brand, or should it be an independent?  After looking through some photos of gas stations on the internet, I found inspiration in this photo of a Sinclair station housed in a smaller, but similar style of building as my kit.  This photo will also serve as a guide for paint colors.












Microscale makes a nice decal set for Sinclair gas stations.  I'll be making a trip to the local hobby shop to look for it and if they don't have it, I will have to find it on line. 

2 comments:

  1. I built an HO scale gas station and had to purchase several sets of Sinclair decals. I have some left, and if they are of any use to you (they are probably too large) just let me know. I still owe you for the N scale Japanese trolley/tram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the offer, but as you say they will be too big. My local hobby shop did not have what I needed despite having a large inventory of decals so I ordered directly from Microscale. It's amazing how many decals you can put on a gas station. Years ago I built the Showcase Miniatures N scale gas station and used 64 decals from 2 different sets.

      Delete