Saturday, November 23, 2019

Keeping the track clean

Anyone who has had a layout knows keeping the track clean is important and it is an ongoing process.  Here are the methods I use to maintain the tracks on my layout.

I have a number of Aztec Manufacturing track cleaning cars and have found that when used regularly, hand cleaning of main lines can be avoided altogether.  Spur lines may still need some hand cleaning.

This type of motorized track cleaning car is made by Tomix and sold under both the Tomix and Atlas brands.  It can be configured to be a vacuum car or rotary wiper.  It does not move on its own and needs locomotives to pull or push it.

These work best running at a faster speed then being moved slowly over the tracks so they are great on DCC layouts as the speeds can be controlled separately.  These will even get into those spur tracks.

When I do have to clean the track by hand I have been using the Woodland Scenics Tidy Tracks products.  The long handle can reach into my longest thru truss bridges.

Most of the track on this layout is reasonably accessible.  For those times when it would be necessary to hand clean the track I have been making an effort to have any structures or bridges over the tracks removable.




One example is the loader at the Barite crushing facility in Battle Mountain.

2 comments:

  1. Always good to keep the track clean. Us guys (lots of my friends) made track cleaning cars by using masonite wipers under standard box cars, these worked real good and where part of the roster so they where cleaning all the time. I also had an old Roco track cleaning car that got an Atlas box car shell fitted so we were not advertising Roco. That too stayed in the roster. Apart from that I use good old lighter fluid on a cloth that is wrapped around a small piece of wood, works a treat.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a car that is always in the train will be sure to get used. That is what is great about the Aztec cars. A Masonite wiper car is something I also want to try.

      Delete