Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Bench work for the Battle Mountain section

Work is progressing well on the Battle Mountain section bench work.  The design is similar to the bench work used on the Carlin section and the upper return loop as it has removable LED lighting panels mounted to the bottom.  I plan to have a model building work bench under part of this section and the LED's will provide general lighting for that.

Here is this section of bench work as it is now.  In this view it is sitting right side up.  The front edge is about 1-1/8 inch lower than the main deck and will carry the Western Pacific line.  The deck for that still needs to be added.

Yes, I've already been penciling in some track layout idea on the deck.
Here is another view with it sitting on the back edge and one of the LED lighting panels removed.  The 4 notches along the bottom are for the shelf brackets which will be attached to the bottom of the main deck.
Here is a close up of one of those notches.  The frame along the back also has sections cut out.  This will allow the shelf bracket to be mounted to the wall.

This photo taken under the Carlin section better illustrates the use of the shelf brackets.

With this section I have now used up all the 1/4 inch plywood that I had picked up cheap at a garage sale in 2014.

After this section of bench work is fully assembled, it will be given a quick test fit to the Gloconda section before getting painted.

2 comments:

  1. Great progress Brad. I have been kinda hot and cold on what I want to do about my RR so I might have to wait until we move,whenever that is.
    Regards
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod, I got out there and did some more this afternoon.

      Delete